MEDSCOPE is developing and distributing a toolbox, CSTools, designed and built to improve the quality of climate forecasts in the Mediterranean region on seasonal to multi-annual scales, along with a number of examples of sectoral applications of relevance for the region. The improved climate prediction information will be achieved both via a better understanding of the Mediterranean climate variability and predictability and on the development of innovative methodologies to extract the information from climate predictions.
THE MEDSCOPE TOOLBOX, CSTools, also includes results of user engagement meetings, instructions for users, examples of sectoral applications, and much additional content.
CSTools is an R package and a preliminary version is publicly available on the CRAN repository. This tool, thought to assess the skill of Climate forecasts on seasonal-to-decadal timescales, exploits dynamical seasonal forecasts in order to provide information relevant to stakeholders at the seasonal timescale. The package contains process-based methods for forecast calibration, bias correction, statistical and stochastic downscaling, optimal forecast combination and multivariate verification, as well as basic and advanced tools to obtain tailored products (Table 1).
While other guidelines on how to use the software are provided in the shape of vignettes* showing how to analyze climate data:
- Downscaling Precipitation with RainFARM
- Evaluate multi-model scores
- Multi variable RMSE computation
- Achieving Best Estimate Index
* an instructive tutorial demonstrating practical uses of the software with the discussion of the interpretation of the results.
You can install the publicly released version of CSTools from CRAN in your R session:
and start using it by loading it:
How to cite
Please, cite the package as:
Nuria Perez-Zanon, Louis-Philippe Caron, Carmen Alvarez-Castro, Jost von Hardenberg, Llorenç LLedo, Nicolau Manubens, Eroteida Sanchez-Garcia, Bert van Schaeybroeck, Veronica Torralba and Deborah Verfaillie (2020). CSTools: Assessing Skill of Climate Forecasts on Seasonal-to-Decadal Timescales. R package version 3.0.0. https://CRAN.R-project.org/package=CSTools
For further questions contact the coordinators of the package:
The package was recently showcased at the following events:
- MedCOF-13. Thirtieth Mediterranean Climate Outlook Forum (online)
- European Meteorological Society (EMS) Annual Meeting, Copenhagen, Denmark, 9-13 September 2019.
- 14th International Meeting on Statistical Climatology (IMSC), Toulouse, France, 24-28 June 2019.
- European Geosciences Union (EGU) General Assembly, Vienna, Austria, 8-12 April 2019.